Lowering the risk of frozen pipes
Here’s a snippet from the winter edition of the Public Works Newsletter — Vaughan at Work — now available. Check it out at vaughan.ca/atwork.
When temperatures plummet you may find a drop in your water pressure or that you have no water at all. This could mean you have a frozen water pipe. If you suspect your pipes are frozen, call Access Vaughan at 905-832-2281. The City will send a licensed water operator to determine if and where the water service is frozen.
Here are some helpful tips for lowering the risk of frozen pipes in your home:
- Insulate pipes that are near outside walls, in crawl spaces or attics.
- Seal any leaks that allow cold air inside.
- Apply low-wattage pipe wrap heating.
- If you’re away, have someone check the house daily to ensure the heat is on.
- If shutting off the main water valve coming into the house, drain the water from the pipe by opening the lowest tap in the house.
Visit the City of Vaughan’s website at vaughan.ca.