Here’s a snippet from the winter edition of the Public Works Newsletter — Vaughan at Work — now available. Check it out at vaughan.ca/atwork.
Environmental sustainability is a team effort. Please remember to use your green bin (organics) and blue box (recyclables), and participate in yard waste programs.
Items that can’t be placed in these bins should go into your garbage which ends up in a landfill. Garbage is collected every other week, but there are some guidelines that you need to know.
- Use garbage bags that are no more than 0.66 metres (two feet) by 0.9 metres (three feet).
- Use regulation-sized rigid garbage cans with handles and removable lids. The diameter of the garbage container can’t be more than 0.5 metres (1.5 feet) and its height can’t be more than 0.9 metres (three feet).
Size of Garbage:
- The total weight of any one container and its contents can’t be more than 20.4 kilograms (45 pounds).
- Garbage items can’t be longer than 1.5 metres (five feet).
- There is a three-item garbage limit on collection day.
Placement of Containers:
- Waste containers must be set out prior to 7 a.m. on collection day.
- Place containers on the right side (when facing your house) of your driveway approximately 0.9 metres (three feet) from the curbside.
- Oversized, broken or damaged containers
- Cardboard boxes
- Containers with attached lids
- Grocery-type shopping bags
- Laundry-type baskets or similar containers
For more information on garbage collection, visit us online at vaughan.ca/waste or call Access Vaughan at 905-832-2281.
Visit the City of Vaughan’s website at vaughan.ca.