My name is Bahareh and I am the founder of REDMAPLEHOOD, a language services company that I launched in June 2014 with the help of the Vaughan Business Enterprise Centre (VBEC) and the Summer Company program.
I have a long-standing passion for entrepreneurship, but I know that simply having a passion without taking effective action isn’t enough. VBEC and Summer Company opened the door to a whole new world of opportunities for me through their guidance and mentorship. As a participant in the program, my ultimate goal was to start my own business and I experienced first-hand what it takes to reach that goal. Along the way, I learned that in order to achieve big goals, I had to reach smaller targets first.
Tips for success
Here are my top five tips for young entrepreneurs looking to start a business in Vaughan:
- If you have a business idea, act on it. Even if it fails, the lessons you learn will go a long way.
- Don’t be afraid to fail!
- Do your research to find out what resources you need and what is available to you.
- Be open to criticism.
- Contact VBEC to learn more about the vast resources that are available.
At the start of my business venture, I had many setbacks and failures before I started seeing results. But each failure taught me a lesson that I would have otherwise missed. These valuable lessons will stay with me for the rest of my life and I will apply them in school, my future career and my personal life.
Thanks for reading!
VBEC has been working hard to grow business in Vaughan through entrepreneurship. This year’s Summer Company program featured 28 local students. The program gives Vaughan’s most experienced entrepreneurs the chance to mentor and teach business fundamentals to future entrepreneurs.
VBEC is a source for business information and assistance in Vaughan, and is committed to helping local companies grow their business by bringing businesses, organizations, government and community together to achieve business success. Some of VBEC services include:
- Business consultation and mentorship
- Market readiness tools and commercialization support
- Access to Federal and Provincial government grants
- Market research, intelligence and business information
- Youth entrepreneurship programs
- Business workshops, seminars and events
- Business registration