Breaking ground on an important project
On July 7, a groundbreaking ceremony was held to celebrate the start of early work on the Vaughan Healthcare Centre Precinct to prepare the site for the future development of the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital.
Guests in attendance included:
- Vaughan Mayor Maurizio Bevilacqua
- Members of Council
- Honourable Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation and MPP Vaughan
- Mackenzie Health’s Board Chair and the President and CEO
First stages of infrastructure
Early work conducted by the City of Vaughan will include the construction of road, stormwater, water and wastewater servicing needs for the 82-acre site.
Note: stormwater management ponds are artificial ponds designed to collect and maintain large amounts of water as a result of rain and/or snow (source).
- Site clearing and the removal of existing roads and services
- New traffic signals at Major Mackenzie Drive, including illumination and pavement markings
- Constructing a new road network to modify access to and exits from Canada’s Wonderland
All construction of the required infrastructure is scheduled to be completed by September 2015 in preparation for the start of construction of the new hospital.
Important facts about the new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital
- Vaughan City Council approved the Vaughan Healthcare Centre Precinct Plan in November 2013.
- The City of Vaughan acquired 82 acres on the northwest quadrant of Major Mackenzie Drive and Jane Street for an urban Vaughan Healthcare Centre Precinct and five acres south of Major Mackenzie Drive as a potential future transit hub.
- The City of Vaughan is moving ahead to prepare the site for development, which includes putting necessary municipal infrastructure in place to support the new hospital site and future developments.
- The new Mackenzie Vaughan Hospital will be home to emergency care, critical care, surgery, medicine, birthing (obstetrics), pediatrics, mental health and York Region District Stroke Centre services.
- Learn more about this project on the Infrastructure Ontario website.