The main role of the City Archives is to manage government records with long-term business value. The City of Vaughan Archives also collects, preserves and makes available for research permanently valuable non-government records from the Vaughan community that document the rich and diverse heritage of the City of Vaughan. Every month we’ll share pieces of Vaughan’s heritage in a regular feature called The Way We Were.
To view more from the City’s archival collections, visit the City of Vaughan’s Facebook page.
The City of Vaughan Archives maintains and preserves the City’s by-laws from 1850 (the year Vaughan was incorporated and first became a township) to the present. As with the Council minutes, the Archives stores both the original hardcopy records as well as microfilmed copies (with another set of microfilm reels stored at the JOC Records Centre for additional security and preservation). By-laws are also available online through the City Clerk’s Office from 1994 to the present.
Maple Volunteer Fire Brigade, 1929
In 1929, the first fire truck was purchased by the Township of Vaughan and the volunteer fire brigade was organized with those pictured here as the original volunteers. From left to right: Charles White, George Cooper, James McLean, Arthur Lawrie, William Johnston Sr., Parnell White, Charles Cooper, Austin Robinson, Charles Ball (driver), Donald Allen, Milton Palmer and Leslie Laver.